Monday, January 16, 2012

Camping in Florida

Just back from our first family camping trip. And it was... awesome! We went with our neighbors and several some of their friends to this amazing campground that had a playground, a pavillion with basketball courts and pavement for the kids to ride scooters on, and a river to hunt for shark teeth.

I used to camp at least 2-3 times a year when I lived in CA, and before I had kids. I love to camp and spend an entire weekend outside running around. But since having kids, then moving to FL, Dean and I haven't camped. First it was getting used to FL and the bugs. The bugs are both plentiful and ever-present here. Then it was Katherine being an infant and I wasn't up for camping with diapers.

But now... K is three and N is six and I was ready to give it a go. And... they LOVED it. I was worried about night time, and frankly, we didn't sleep alot the first night... but strong coffee and fresh air helped with the 5:20, pre-dawn wake-up call that K insisted upon. And of course, we picked the perfect time in FL to camp... The weather actually hit below freezing, a rarity here. But we survived and even Dean had a great time. Dean is a reluctant camper. Once engrossed, he really does enjoy it, but the sleeping in the tent part, eh, he could do without. But he loves me and knows I love it and takes one for the team. Man, I love that guy.

So smore's, a leaky canoe and much hearty meat later, we will be camping again soon. Next up, camping by the beach in non-freezing weather, stay tuned!




No comments: