Wednesday, March 15, 2006

It's a sad day...

One of my best friends dad died this weekend. Unexpectedly.

It's an awful feeling to know your friend and her family are in such terrible pain and there is nothing you can do but offer your love and support. I just want to take their pain away and I can't. I'm still in shock and find myself thinking about it when I go to bed at night. If I think about it too long, the sadness is almost overwhelming. So if I feel that way, I can only imagine how it must be for my friend.

Ironically, he was one of the most fit men I know his age, perhaps with the exception of my father-in-law. Life is just like that sometimes. So unfair. So, I did the only thing I could, called my parents and told them how much I loved them. I sat with Natalie, cuddling her for the longest time thinking about how truly blessed Dean and I are to have her. If you know me at all, you know I'm not one to count my blessings, but I find myself doing that these days. Perhaps that is a good thing.

Here's to you Andy. I'll miss many things about you... you're teasing nature, subtle sarcasm, and great bbq's at your house. But mostly I'll miss just being around you and your family, and experiencing the love you had for them firsthand.

No comments: